Norwegian Christmas Cabbage
Norwegian Recipe Ingredients
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 large head cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup white vinegar, or to taste
- 1/2 cup white sugar, or to taste
Lay two slices of bacon across the bottom of a large pot. Cover with a layer of cabbage. Sprinkle a light dusting of flour and a pinch of caraway seed. Season with a little salt and pepper. Repeat layering as many times as possible until you run out of room.
Fill the pot with enough water to come about 3/4 up the side. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the cabbage is soft, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly, then stir in the vinegar and sugar. Use your own judgment. Add sugar carefully to taste. The idea is to strike a balance between the sweet and the sour, and therein lies the trick...enjoy the Norwegian cabbage recipe !